Wednesday, August 02, 2006

WFMW ... sortof

Last night, after dinner, hubs asked me to come outside for a few minutes. Of course, the kids were all excited and thought he wanted to take us all out for a walk or something.

That in itself is it's own story- we have a 12 and 13 year old, and from what I hear, we are pretty lucky that they still want anyhing to do with us. But, I digress.

Hubs clarified for all to hear - "No, I just want your mom outside. Clear the table and then go do something. But stay inside".

Of course, the next question was "Are you in trouble mom?" kids ...

After getting a couple things done, and the dinner clearing under way, I sauntered outside. I found hubs sitting on our porch swing. I sat down, he put his arm around me and started to swing.

We didn't talk - we just rocked back and forth in the swing for an hour or so. We listened to a robin call out to its mate in an aviarial game of Marco Polo. We watched the sunset over the trees - from pink, to hot pink to flaming orange. We listened to the crickets usher in the night.

He told me he missed me. With the kids home for the summer, it's been all about them. We know that high school, the freedom of a car, summer jobs and college are way too close now. So we have cherished this summer with our kids - who still really like to hang out with us.

We've missed our "doink doink" times - where we curl up for two hours and watch Law and Order - and try to out-guess each other as to whodunit. We've missed our weekly lunches, where we try new restaurants in town and just spend a couples hours talking and talking.

I'm married going on 17 years now ... I work at home FT with my husband ... and he still misses me and loves me.

And that, my friends, works for me!



For the more traditional Works for Me Wednesday tips, visit RocksInMy Dryer quick!

6 Comments:

Blogger Tricia said...

What a beautiful post! You are truly blessed to have each other.

1:34 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

Quit making me cry!

Just stop it right now.

:-)

Beautiful post.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Isn't that so sweet? I hope you enjoyed your time with your DH!

A loving Godly man...works for me, too! Fortunately, I have one :-)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You've blessed me with this post. You all are in my prayers.

9:40 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

I haven't been married quite that long, but I do know how it feels to be cherished and loved by a great man. Thank you for sharing this with us. Tomorrow night I may have to take the time to swing on our own swing and just enjoy one another! Thank you for the reminder.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

Kelli, this inspires me. Our summer has been about the kids, too. I think hubby and I need some porch-swingin' time. Thanks for the post!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home