Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Mercy Dinner

Kati and I are currently using the book, Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking, to plan meals right now. Although no one is diabetic in the house, I do have to be careful of what I eat because of how my body reacts to things now. Amazing little organs, those kidneys.

Anyway, this book is amazing -- it gives you 52 weeks of recipes, week by week, with a shopping list right up front, first page. And it's really good, easy food :)

Eazy Peazsy, Lemon Squeezy!

This week, it's been "International Week" with things like Penne Pasta with Ricotta, Southern "Fried" Chicken and Spicey Greens, Greek Lemon Rice Soup (to die for), and more.

Tonight was Souvlaki and Mousakka - pork kabobs in pita, with a yogurt cucumber sauce and eggplant. E.g.g.p.l.a.n.t. Ok, let me first preface that I abhor eggplant. But, in the interest of open-mindedness, we bought an eggplant. I only got a slight rash ... but ...

Kati spent a good two hours lovingly making dinner. She LOVES to cook, and really enjoys trying new things. Did I mention, eggplant?

Everyone sits, serves and starts. Oh- we prayed, well, I prayed - that God would really, really bless the eggplant food, and then we ate.

Two bites. Tops.

Our gracious cook looks up and says "Who wants pizza?!"

I ran frantically and said "I'll call".

In waiting for the lady on the other end of the phone to find our account, I casually asked how long delivery was running cause we were starving. I mentioned that dinner had failed, miserably, her next comment was "Oh, mercy dinner?!"

As we sat at the table, s-l-o-w-l-y eating our salads, Kati took the evil, ugly eggplant leftovers to the sink.

"Geez mom, even the garbage disposal won't eat this stuff".

I think tomorrow?

We barbecue.

9 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

Oh my word, I'm dying here. I admire your spirit Kelli, but honestly, pork kabobs in pita with (shudder) yougurt cucumber sauce (shudder) AND eggplant? I think not.

You should listen to your disposal!

This is hysterical. I'm laughing out loud. I'm afraid to even ask what exactly it is you plan to barbecue tomorrow night.

Oh, and about that great cookbook? Maybe that's what you should barbecue. Barbecued book sounds better, don't you think. Yogurt cucumber sauce indeed. :-)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Ok, so a picture wasn't worth a thousand words. Just $15.00 in pizza. Ugh!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

LOL. I don't attempt to cook anything I can't pronounce.


Oh, and speaking of books... you've been tagged!!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Come out come out where ever you are!

I'm sorry. I didn't know Brenda had tagged you. And I don't want to overload you.

But guess what?

I tagged you too. For a different meme.

So get busy Missy!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That's funny. Are the other recipes in the book good?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Hellooo... Anybody home? We're missing you!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Pfingston said...

I abhor eggplant too, although my aunt can make eggplant lasagna and you can hardly tell . .. hardly.

Bummer though, bummer!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Kelli, I am SO far behind in reading, so I don't know if you'll still be checking comments on this post.

But oh, you made me laugh hard! Anything that combines the words "egg" and "plant" and is purple probably isn't going to be good. You know?

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta tell ya, I love Greek food. Well American Greek food and egg plant - yum!
But maybe it's because I've never made it myself.

L

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home