Tuesday, August 15, 2006

WFMW


Chore Lists


We have a standard list o' chores the kids are responsible for.
And with that ... comes the fights, the "not my turn" the blah blah blah ...

After doing spreadsheets and assigning things to hang on this fridge, seven ways to Sunday,
and listening to .. "she didn't finish it right" and "now I have to" and "blah blah blah"...

I gave up.

Called uncle.

Took away privileges and toys.

Yeah. That went far.

So, now we have a NEW system, that for the moment is working...

I made them sit down and they wrote the list.

They had to discuss, and not fight.

They both agreed to the list and signed it.

They chose whether to change it over daily, weekly or monthly
- or, as it ended up- this is what we will do from now on.

No switching.

Now- all I say it ... "You agreed. You had a chance, you made a choice. "

Live with it and may silence rain down upon me like graceful rain.

Two weeks and counting ... and it still works for me :)


For more great Works for Me Wednesday tips visit Shannon@Rocksinmydryer.typepad.com





12 Comments:

Blogger Trisha said...

What a great compromise. Kiddos always feel better when they have a say in what is going on.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Very timely!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of involving the children like that. It teaches them compromise, working together as a team and responsibility all at the same time.
Excellent!

2:35 AM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Genius!
Did you start them out with a base list of chores?

5:28 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

What a great way to empower them and encourage initiative! That often works better than our tendency towards autocratic parenting. Good going!

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great tip!! Sure takes away arguing if htey pikced it :)

7:02 AM  
Blogger momof3busyboys said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I will definately try it with my two oldest!

8:29 AM  
Blogger the lizness said...

my sister and I did this when we were kids, and it felt good to know there was one thing we could agree on :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

That was a great way to handle the conflict!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Always makes me happy to click on your blog because I know that purple flower's going to pop right out at me. I swear, that's the cutest purple flower.

Ahem. This is a great idea. They're more likely to do their chores with all the bickering if THEY thought of it in the first place. Where on earth were all you clever young ladies when I was smack in the middle of all this?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Meant to say "without" all the bickering of course. I need to find a good book on improving my proofreading skills. Sigh.....or maybe I just need to slow down a little.

1:54 PM  
Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

Letting them take ownership of the jobs! Great suggestion!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home