Thursday, August 03, 2006

Without being asked.

A year or so ago, I bought the kids each a devotions book from Focus on the Family. I thought, they are age appropriate - kind of hip and cool (if those are the right words to use now-a-days) and maybe, just maybe they would pick them up here and there. It was time for them to start their own, personal time besides our family times.

Several months ago, they started doing devotions together in their room at night. On their own. Without being asked.

Fast forward to this week ... I went looking for Kati, and found her in her room, in the middle of the day ... with her notebook open. And a book open. And she is reading and writing away - very focused.

I peeked over her shoulder to see what she was reading so intently, and it was (drumroll please) her Devo's book. And she was writing away - all her thoughts and questions about what she was reading.

Did I mention she is 13?

My heart swelled up.

I kissed her head.

Walked out.

Left her alone with God.

10 Comments:

Blogger boomama said...

I would have bawled my eyes out. :-)

Sweet, sweet story.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! That's one special girl you've got there!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Hug that child for me, willya?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Doesn't it feel oh so great, when you pour and pray and pour and pray and then there's that moment when you see it all come together. This was clearly one of those moments. Both my girls started devotions right before their teen years and they're still at it. 13 - a great age to sink into it.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh that is beautiful... I can only pray, and hope, that I can lead my daughter to the same kind of relationship with God. Oh what a goal! Thanks for sharing!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

You must be bursting your buttons - that's a sign of some mighty good mommying!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I think this is wonderful! It sounds to me like you have done some wonderful parenting that your daughter came to the Lord basically on her own. I only hope my children will do the same (some day when I have them) Did I mention some day...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Carey said...

Kids are an amazing gift from God. I think they understand the importance of prayer time, and alone time with God better then we adults do. I know my 5 year old loves Jesus so much that He is all she talks about, and sings about, just blows me away..Im so happy for your daughter.
I found you at My Quiet Corner, welcome to the nieghborhood.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

Oh, that is beautiful!

Recently I was asking my 9-yr-old to do something and she was in her room, not responding. Finally I went in there and asked why she wasn't listening to me. "I'm reading my Bible, mom."

Sometimes you just don't know what to say!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Keziah said...

I'm visiting via the welcome at A Quiet Corner for all my fellow blogging newbies, but I am glad I did.

That is wonderful about your daughter - you are clearly training her in the way to go!

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home