Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Like my tan?

WOW-

Just got back from vacation, and it was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l.

Although short (aren't they always), I'm amazed that the house is still in good repair, the fridge is still stocked and the kids (who got to stay home alone) are still alive and talking nice to each other.

Where did I go? You ask.

Some exotic beach with white sand and palm trees? Maybe a deserted mountain cabin in the trees (oh, that's where I live) ... France ... Bora Bora .. the Swiss Alps?

And I left my kids what? Alone! Yep. The whole time I was gone. It was lover-ly (to quote the great Miss Hepburn).

Well ... I didn't get pictures to share with y'all. But ... I went ..... to ....

THE MAIL BOX!

All the way- alone. No hubby, no kids, no dog.

The whole 1/2 mile, in the car. Just me, the air conditioner (that was for Boomama) and Dr. Laura - all alone. Even drove an extra full mile to the main road and back to turn around so I didn't have to actually get out in the heat to open the mail box.

Yup- didn't quite max out the card on the gas expenses, but ... it was the best vacation I've had in weeks.

It was heaven.

And now, back to my regularly schedule life.


(For those of you who think I'm insane - well, I am. BUT, ya see, I work FT From home, I live at the same home and town is 1/2 hour from here. So we NEVER go out. Maybe once a week when the kids won't eat grilled cheese just. one. more. time. as three square meals a day. And we never go alone. So, pardon my rambling and enjoy your daily trips to wherever.)

Green Acres, we are there! Toot toot!

6 Comments:

Blogger Addie said...

The day I realized I was the mother of 3 noise kids was when I got everyone buckled. Closed the van door. And then as I walked around to the driver side I though "Oh, that's nice. Peace and quiet." That's when it hit me. My idea of luxury had been forever altered. :-)

Glad you had such a nice vacation.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Hey, time alone is time alone. I don't care HOW it comes.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, this reminds me of the time my kids were smaller and I was a SAHM. Back then I couldn't even get into the toilet alone! So when I just once managed to sneak out to the mailbox ALONE it was pure heaven!

3:58 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

I too LOVE going to the mailbox alone. My husband has finally figured that out and leaves the chore to me after he gets off work. So funny! Simple pleasures!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

This cracked me up - for a minute there I had you showing your passport all over the place. Instead of power naps you obviously take power vacations, and glad to hear it works for you!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, how nice! Makes me wish my mailbox was a half-mile or more, away so I could drive to it alone and have a mini vacation myself. But knowing the way things work around my house, I'd more likely end up not getting the mail for days on end...

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home