Saturday, January 06, 2007

With Calmer Heads Prevailing

First of all, I have been overwhelmed with peace in the last 24 hours. I stood back and took a breath, and felt the support of the prayer support going up around the country. Your emails and comments have been a touch of grace for us.

Here, for those of you that have asked, is the layout of our battle over the next 6 weeks or so, tied into how the whole "eligible for transplant" process flows- as I understand it. There is an entire team in Denver, at Porter Adventist, that handles this- but these are the pieces I am aware of at the moment.

First, I have to be accepted as a viable candidate. This involved a recommendation from my nephrologist, visits with each person on the transplant team - Nurse Coordinator, Surgeons, Financial Coordinator and Social Worker. This was done in September. PASSED.

Next came the tests- 29 vials of blood, EKG, Stress Test, Mammogram (joy), Pap Smear, Hepatitus Vaccine Series, and a bunch of other vaccines. PASSED.

Fast forward, slowly, to now.

I have passed all the tests and will be presented by Karen, my Nurse Coordinator at this month's review. All of the transplant teams have to review each file and all sign off as OK. This way, no one can recant later and say "I would nto have operated on her". The biggest obstacle is that I need to lose some weight for the procedure, but can be approved for the list while that is continuing to move along.

Once that is done, and I'm "on the list" then we look for a living donor. I need a donor with a or 0 as a blood type, no high blood pressure or diabetes. The good news, well the GREAT news, is that Medicare covers the donor medical at 100%. we simply need to pay for airfare and hotel stay. The procedure for the donor is pretty in/out. The technology is basically like sucking it out with a straw. Well, not literally- but that is how it was explained. Basically a very short recovery and the donor is home in days.

Once on the list, I will be eligible for a cadaever donor as well, but prefer a living donor only because a living donor kidney lasts an average of 15 years- longer that a cadaver. At my age, if all goes as planned, I will only have to do this twice in my life. The match for living can be more precise as well, for medical reason that are way too hard for my brain to comprehend, due to things that can be done ahead of time to prepare the two people for success.

Either way- it's life. And a gift that no one can fully fathom. I can't even fathom it- even from where I sit.

The other more exciting and terrifying aspect we have to deal with is the financial end of it. I currently have Medicare which will cover 80%, and private insurance which covers 20%. We still have some costs involved-including 1200./month of anti-rejection meds post-surgery. We are dealing with how that will be covered, but have time to save.

The issue now lies within the private insurance. I am due to lose my insurance, unless we can cover COBRA in February. My work has told me they will keep me on as long as they are allows- they have been amazing through the entire process. I have been there three years, and its a fast growing company. But, we are family and they are trying to help where legally possible. John contracts with them as well, so they seem to have a vested interested in us. Praise God.

If I lose my insurance (COBRA rates being too high) then we will have to show the ability to pay the 20%, even if over time. No one can give us an actual amount, which I can understand, but the rough figures are $50-100,000. Choke. Without the ability to show that, we are a no go.

So, the big and the small of it. The very big.

Oh- and did I mention Kati needs a root canal not covered by her insurance? and a crown.

We are laughing all the way to the bank.

And continue to pray. Hard. That God will reveal His Plans abit faster, if possible. But in the meantime, know that we are awash in your prayer and support. It's an oasis in the world of melting down.

We thank each of you- our church family, friends, sisters and brothers.


20 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Kelli - God is so faithful. You sound so much better. His peace comes in such a miraculous way. You are absolutely prayed for. I am praying the Lord will provide in abundance all that you need. Please don't hesitate to make your needs known if the insurance doesn't work out.
You are an inspiration to me. I picture the Lord just enfolding you in His mighty arms. I'll be praying about a donor as well. God already knows who that will be.
Praying He will cover all of you with His love and peace.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I'm here from Linda's and praying that each of your needs will be met.
:)

8:31 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Kelli, I am also over here from Linda's and my prayers are with you.

May God shed his light on your steps and help you find a donor now that you are a suitable canidate for transplant.

...and even if you have to take out a loan you need to take care of that insurance. I hope you find a way.
Praying for you!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Hey Kelli....add my prayers to the 'bowls' being filled up over you and your home right now. We have such a big God...I just know that He is waiting to have us agree with His provision and miracle for you! Blessings in 2007 - a year of restoration and health, for YOU!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

I hadn't even thought of that. I know it's better to stay out of debt but maybe you really could get a loan to cover the COBRA costs, to keep the insurance going.

It sounds like your former employer is doing all they possibly can to help you.

There's a lot to pray for here but you can count on us. We've got you covered in prayer.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

thanks for explaining what is going on with the insurance situation. I really hope and pray all this will get resolved so you are covered for your transplant!

3:03 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

I have been thinking about this / praying about this since I first read your post this morning. God is so faithful - and I just KNOW that there is provision for your every need. I'm about to email you....

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog via BooMama and I just wanted to let you know that one more person is praying for you and your family.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Saying a prayer for you... Praying for peace, for the financial details to fall into place, praying for a donor, and praying that He will reveal himself to you through it all. Amen.

9:42 PM  
Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Kelli we are praying in NC. I am going to link to BooMama's pay page next week.

Your transparency amazes me and I think it is wise of you to be so honest with yourself right now. I pray God will bless you with peace right now.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I'm here from Boomama's blog where I first read your story. I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. I am aware that God is a miracle worker and will provide. I know tomorrow has been set up as a day to honor you on her blog. I'm praying that you and your family will be blessed beyond measure by the outpouring of our blog community!!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Jodi, I found your blog through Lindsey @ Enjoy the Journey!

I was wondering, are you going to need people who can be tested to see if they are a match, and what would be involved in that? I've got O-negative blood (you may want to clarify that w/ your doc, if I remember right from anatomy class, based on what you said, you would need A or O-negative, but not O-positive).

Anyway, what is involved in finding a match (from the donor's perspective?)

Will be praying for you!!

jodi

12:38 PM  
Blogger Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Praying for you and spreading the word. I pray that you feel an overwhelming sense of God's Peace right now. He is capable of doing more than we can even imagine, and I am looking forward to what He will do.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Kelli, I found you from Chelsea Morning & Boomama's blogs.

Having one kidney myself, I am touched by your situation. I will be posting the "for Kelli" button on my blog tomorrow and making a donation. I hope it helps.

Not only that, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

8:16 PM  
Blogger An Ordinary Mom said...

Kelli, I found your site through a few different blogs that I read. I just wanted to let you know that you will be in my prayers. Have faith and believe in the best. I was just recently diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease so your situation hits very close to home. I hope and pray every day that my kidneys will hold up so I can raise my kids and live a full life. I will do the same for you!

I hope you can find peace in your heart as you endure this ordeal.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Mich said...

Hi Kelli--I found your blog through what's going on over at BooMama today--know that you are in my prayers!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Kelli- May you continue to be blessed. I know I have been just by witnessing what is happening all over the Internet for you!

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know there are prayers (and a small donation - wish it could have been more) coming your way from Hawaii
God Bless,
Tammi

10:41 PM  
Blogger Revka said...

Hey, Kelli, I'm sure you've seen, but I wrote a post on each of my blogs letting poeple know about your situation and that they can make a donation at BooMama's (where I learned about you). I've made a donation and continue to pray for you and your family. Praise the Lord for "His wonderful works toward the children of men."
Revka
http://ourfamilyporch.blogspot.com
http://littlefunlittlelearning.blogspot.com

8:15 AM  
Blogger Especially Heather said...

You already know this- but having already been on the road you are walking on, I pray for you daily (sometimes numerous times). It is a scary journey, and an expensive journey (Emma's last five years of insurance claims total over 4 million right now) but it is also an amazing journey of hope, redemption and grace.

You are loved Kelli, and you are covered. You have been placed at the foot of your loving father and He is scooping you up and placing you in his hand. He loves you,dear friend.

And so do we.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home