Sunday, December 03, 2006

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Well, bless your hearts!

I've been inundated with requests for my Christmas Prime Rib recipe. It's not hard, it's really so easy I feel guilty taking the praise and adulation for it's magnificence year after year-but, I somehow I manage.

So, don't be intimidated. Just look that rib roast right in the eye and do it! Then, be prepared to be worshipped and adored by all your guests. Throw a little flour around and look weary upon serving. They will think you got up at 2am to prepare such a tribute to them.


Where Do I Get My Roast?

First of all, where you get your "Standing Rib Roast" doesn't seem to matter. I have always gone to the meat market and gotten it- but last year they sold it out from under me, so I had to beg the local WalMart meat manager to order me one in last minute. It was just as great!

How Do I Pick Out A Great Roast?

The key is to get one that has a really nice "fat cap"-the layer of fat along the bottom. That is where your flavor will come with this cooking method.

How Much Do I Need Per Person?

With bones (the only way I buy it), allow 12-15 ounces of uncooked meat per person. We but a larger one, since we LOVE the leftovers on sandwiches and leftovers for days!

What Else Do I Need?

Gather your supplies:

Rib Roast
Garlic (the number of cloves depends on your personal taste and the size of the roast)
Roasting Pan with shallow rack
Meat thermometer (don't try it without this!)
Courage

Ok! Now what?

1. Unwrap the rib roast, leaving it strung together and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. It's key to make sure the oven is fully preheated before you put the roast in.

2. Dice your garlic and make small slits all over your roast, about 1/2 - 1" deep. Don't do this to the fat cap along the bottom.

3. Insert the diced garlic in the slits.

4. Place the roast on the rack fat side up (bone side down). DO NOT COVER!

5. Once fully preheated, move the oven rack to the lowest position. Put the roasting pan in the center of the rack and close the door.

Now, this is the MOST IMPORTANT PART! It must be followed precisely. I warn you, the first year is the hardest to do. But, you must. I know you can!!

6. Cook the roast at 500 degrees for 5-6 minutes per pound.

7. Without opening the door to the oven to peek ever! Turn off the oven and let it continue to cook for two hours exactly.

If you open the door before step 8, it will be ruined. It has to be sealed in the oven exactly as described.

8. After 2 hours, check the meat thermometer. If you are at 140 degress you done! If it's cooler than that, turn the oven to 375 and check every 5 minutes until it reached 140.

9. Once done, let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes to rest before cutting.

Voila!

I'd love to hear how it comes out for everyone :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

I'm so glad you posted this, Kelli. Except for the garlic, I remember this being exactly the way my mother-in-law cooked prime rib. I think if anyone got within ten feet of her oven she yelled, "Don't you dare open that door!"

I'm printing this out and hanging onto it for when I can afford to buy a prime rib roast.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelli, I wish I could make this! Alas, but Chris hates all things "roast." But it looks beautiful--is that picture yours? If it is, you should be a food photographer:)

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm I'm trying to convince my husband this will be our Christmas meal and he will make it. He's got his head buried in a project so he's like "it sounds good to me, tag it." So ... 2 things: you & your recipe will be in my Del.icio.us Thursday Thirteen and I'm finally getting to put my blog roll together and you're in it. Some time in the next 2 days ... or so the rumor goes.

I'm very excited for you and your daughter. Maybe now she'll have time to put up some of her best writings on her blog.

have fun,
pam

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home