Friday, December 01, 2006

"The" Christmas Meme




Well, as they say ..... Everybody's doin' it, doin' it, doin' it .... so, why don't you do it, too!

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Oh Lord- hot chocolate. With.Marshmallows. John does egg nog by the water-tank truckload. I can barely stomach the smell.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa most definitely wraps. While I watch infomercials on Christmas Eve til about 4am. Spending too much money on after Christmas cabinet stuffers. Every year.

3. Colored lights or white? 15 strands of white wrapper around the inside of the tree to make to glow, then 20 strands of colored on the tips to make it festive. And yes, I place every one of them myself.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? To quote Big Mama - There's enough kissing in this house without mistletoe.

5. When do you decorate for Christmas? Once I get up the nerve to dig out the boxes.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish, excluding dessert? I make the BEST, and I mean it- the BEST, Prime Rib Roast every Christmas. I'm happy to give everyone the recipe.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? I have so many- but here are the highlights:#4- watching our Pastor play the marumbas every year at the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. We went home 4 years ago, and after almost 40 years he still plays. I bawled like a baby to the chagrin of my kids.... #3- the year I got a full, life-size (for a 4 year old) cardboard kitchen ..... #2- the year I knocked over mama's fully, meticulously, certifiably well-decorated-she-places-every-one-of-those-6,000-ornaments-precisely-the-same place-every-stinkin'-year-while-everyone-else-vacates-the premise trees over. Splat! all over the floor.... #1 Daddy would film me walking down the hall every Christmas morning with his Super-8 and this jimmy-rigged light pole (a piece of 6 foot board with 6 halogen-bright bulbs attached). So, we have years of me, in my jammies, covering my eyes and banging into walls trying to get to the tree. Man, those lights were like walkin' into the headlights of a Mac truck. Now, I know how a deer feels.

8. When and how, did you learn the truth about Santa? That he was married? Well, when I was about, I think, 6. Married to an immortal- that's a commitment.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? What- before Santa comes??? How is that possible?

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lots of love, patience and absolutely NO regularly place ornaments. Oh, and a step ladder and the Mitch Miller Christmas Sing-A-Long album. Every year. Can't decorate without it.

11. Snow. Love it or hate it? Love, Love, Love it! Except now when it's all ice.

12. Can you ice skate? "if only in my dreams...."

13. Do you remember your favorite Christmas gift? Kati, born just before Christmas 1994. She will be 14 next week.

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? Making it a special, family time for everyone. Especially now. I may not have too many left in me.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Dutch Apple Pie. Not home-made by me. Someday, I'll tell you about the apple pie I tried to make this Thanksgiving.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Every year, around the first of December we get everyone new jammies that can only be worn on Christmas Eve. The kids begs every night to wear them- but it's magical.

17. What tops your tree? My Prime Rib. Oh. You mean, like an ornament? A crystal heralding angel my mother-in-law gave us years ago.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving. I never really wanted anything after the kids came along. However, every year I get one appliance and bottle of Shaper Hairspray. It's tradition. Look forward to it every year.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? O Come Let Us Adore Him. Makes me bawl like a baby. Otherwise? Jingle Bell Rock and anything on the Mitch Miller Christmas Sing-A-Long album, circa 1960 or before.

20. Candy canes. Yuck or yum? Stuck to someone's kid? Yum.

If you're here, you're tagged!




10 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

Well, Kelli, I'm laughing my head off. You are too funny! The lights on your tree sure sound interesting and yes, I think you should post your prime rib recipe. If I thought I could cook it properly, I'd seriously consider serving it instead of ham.

You did a great job on this meme. I'm seeing it everywhere and I love it. Sooo Christmasy!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is adorable:) And I love the Sponge Bob look-alike fruitcake cartoon! But I'm really here to see if you're really willing to give me one of your kidney ornaments! How hilarious is that?! I guess if there's anybody I know who would have one, you'd be it!

If you're serious, then I'll email you tomorrow when it's a normal hour with my address. And someday, when Addie asks me why on earth we have a kidney on our tree, I'll tell her about her kidney pen-pal:) Or you will--because you're still going to be around blogging then :)

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fun answers to the meme :)...I think childhood memories are great - I have quite a few of them as well...

11:49 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

"What tops your tree? My Primerib!"

Good thing I did not have coffee in my mouth at the time I read that! Great answers!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...keeping you in your room while Santa and I prepared things around the tree and got the maxi-light-bar in position to film you "walk to the light" was always the challenge. But you usually cooperated beautifully!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm not signing my name because I have YOU for the white elephant exchange. :-)

I haven't mailed your gift yet. The weather has been horrible around here, but I hope to have it in the mail on Monday.

I'm so glad you like hot chocolate. I make the most awesome, awesome homemade mix. Trust me, it'll be the best hot chocolate you have ever tried. I'm going to send you some in the package.

Hope you "enjoy" what else I'm sending you. :-)

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelli, you crack me up. I can't wait til we TIRL. Email me your number, okay?

Love your cartoons!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

This is a great way to get to know people better. I love all your answers. Your warmth and humor just make my day.
Have a wonderful sunday.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I loved your sassy answers! Funny, funny. I'm one of those that loved Mitch Miller too - that funky beatnik goatee.....

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home