Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Southern Hospitality ... and other things we don't have in Montana

BooMama is hysterical. I recently found her blog, and can't get enough it. Mainly, cause she speaks straight off the hip, straight from her heart- with her tongue planted firmly in her Southern cheek.

I was reading this post, and realized all the things I missed about Louisiana and plain ole Southern Hospitality.

Here is a quick bullet list:

* Y'all going to The Wal Mart?

Now, in the south- its' not called WalMart. It's THE Wal Mart. Three words. Not two. Everyone goes to The Wal Mart for everything.

* Chittlins are on sale at the Piggly Wiggly.

There is something fun about just sayin' "Piggly Wiggly". I shop at the Piggly Wiggly. We need to go to the Piggly Wiggly. Piggly, wiggly, piggly, wiggly. Cracks me up. My grandpa owed the Piggly Wiggly in Alexandria, LA a long, long time ago. Not sure, but I think that makes me a piglet. Piglet Wiglet. heehee (ok technically, a sow .. but, what fun is that... )

* Need go ta da Winn-Dixie.

In the north - its the Winn DIXIE. In the south .... emphasis on the WINN Dixie.

* Miss Kelli

Miss or Ms is on the front of every name and it is so precious and endearing. Every time I'm on the phone with someone "from home" they say Miss Kelli, and I melt.

* Miiiiiiiisssssssss Kellllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ok- that is a personal favorite. We lived in a small parrish (county in bog city terms) and everyone shopped at The Wal Mart. No matter when we went, I heard that shrill, loud loving greeting from several of my co-workers across the store. The Wal Mart store--- the kind that was s bog a two city blocks. Frankly- it drove my husband and kids crazy, and they would driver me 50 miles, over the state line to be "alone" with me sometimes.

* Humidity

There is something sick and wrong about missing such steaming, hot air- that leaves you dripping wet after a cold, icy shower. But hey.

* The Waffle House



For those of you that have never been in a yellow-roofed Waffle House- you will never know the sheer thrill of havin' your order yelled to the cook, by the waitress, in Waffle House-ese ... to the delight of everyone in the place.

They greet you in every Waffle House with Howdy, Welcome or Good Morning .. and you can get their Famous Signature Pecan Waffles, or just a plate of your hashbrowns Traditional; Scattered & Smothered (Onions); Scattered, Smothered & Covered (Onions and Melted Cheese); Scattered, Smothered, Covered & Chunked (Onions, Cheese and Ham); Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Chunked & Topped (Onions, Cheese, Ham & Chili; Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Chunked, Topped & Diced (Onions, Cheese, Ham, Chili and Diced Tomatoes).

* Food. period.

Creole, crawfish, jumbalaya, real fried chicken (sorry Banquet and KFC), black eyed peas, grits (well, that one is for the hubby), cornbread, anything just plain ole homemade.

* People.

Flat-out, hand down. People. Ain't no place like it- ain't no place. period.

Ain't NO place like home.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, you are so right! I was a late transplant to the South but am now firmly planted and have no plans for leaving. (Although technically, Texas isn't the true South. But don't tell the Texans!)

11:46 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

Okay - I clicked over here because I LOVED the song in Sarah's comments (yes, you too have too much time on your hands, but I like that in a girl) - and I found a bloggy shout out? For me? Too sweet. Thanks for that.

Now we used to live in Baton Rouge, so I can totally get on board with how great the food is down there. We moved here to Alabama six years ago, and we STILL talk about the food. And you are 100% accurate about "The Walmart" - my mother-in-law even adds an "s": "The Walmarts," "The Steinmarts," etc.

Putting you in my Bloglines. Right now.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Consider yourself lucky on the humidity! I'd trade it for anything! It's hot here in Ole' Virginia.

Love your post...makes me appreciate things here in my part of the south.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Sarah: Texans count twice in my book!


LOL Boomama ... we were just outside just east in Bogalusa. Named for the Bogue Lusa (big boggy river with fancy name) and not named for "Bugs Lotsa" .. as hubby and the kids insisted. And thanks for the add-on- so sweet, so honored to be there :)

Melissa: Appreciate it, love it, embrace it!!! And thanks so much for stopping by- I love your blog :)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

BooMama is a great read. I appreciate her and Toni and A Broad in Athens. I'm fortunate to know Toni personally. Anyway, I've lived in Texas all my life and until college small town East Texas. Very different from suburban Texas.

Anyway, I really miss Dairy Queen. And I miss waving on country roads. Well, actually right now I miss lots of things.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Pfingston said...

Wow, makes me want to go there pronto. I'm a big fan of BooMama too.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

Enjoying your site for the first time. Can't feel sorry for ya~ Montana, come on! It's got to be breathtakingly beautiful. I really hope to make it there one day. In the meantime please rethink the sweltering, thick, humid air nostalgia :0)

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Wow! I found your site yesterday and came back to visit again! Just visiting the way back time machine ... I'm from Texas and now I'm in NY ... and before I was in Oregon for a yr. I was thinking just in the past few days ... I sure miss "Awful House" ... I can't even really explain why!

ttyl
pam

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home