Monday, March 26, 2007

Personal Journal- The Road to Transplant : Day One

I'm starting this side journal of postings to document my road to transplant. Nothing really interesting for most, but I am one who needs accountability. So, this will be my Accountability Journal.
When I started dialysis, I gained 40 pounds in 3 months. Bam! See, I dialyize with sugar water, believe it or not. So, it's like me sitting down to a bag (or ten) of Snickers every. single. day. Dialysis and an apple and I have my caloric intake for the day.
Its been tough getting any of the weight off, since I have had to use the higher concentrations of dialysis fluids. But, we seem to have found away around it now and so I have to work to get this off. Transplant requires certain things, and a weight range is included - but, if course.
That being said, I hired a personal trainer- Kathy. We have a home gym, and a pool but darn if I can't find 100 other things to do every day that use it. Sound familiar?
I talked to her last week, and decided to have her over to the house 3 times a week to make me work out. The best part is, she's affordable. She charges for one. whole. week what trainers normally charge for one.whole.hour. Yeah! And the second best part? She's not a WorkOurBarbie. I was ready to hate her before she showed up today- but Ireallylikedher. I do!
I may even keep this up!
Today we did some paperwork, figured out an eating plan and did 45 minutes of exercise. I actually sweated! We worked out with resistance bands, tubing things and a 6 pound weight ball. Considering I carry 8 pounds of fluid in my abdomen 24 hours a day for 24/7 dialysis, it's like being pregnant for, I don't know, YEARS. But the good news is - there no cursing, not even in my head.
To top it off? We just got back from The WalMart, where we bought a reasonably priced treadmill. She mentioned cardio 5x a week, and come summer ? This child is going nowhere near the outdoors, where it's literally 120 in. the. shade. Thankyouverymuch.
This is the hardest part of the journey for me - spending money and exercising. Paying money TO exercise, in my own home- well, thats a huge step.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

But spending money to exercise will make you do it. Good luck with the trainer, I hope she helps you. I would love to have a trainer, help me stay motivated.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Oh, I'm sorry that I'm laughing, Kelli, but yes, paying someone to torture you? I soooo understand that you might be a little beside yourself.

At least you're getting a good deal. :-)

However, young lady. This is what you need to do. None of us could handle that sugar intake every day. Not a single one of us. Bet me I'd be ordering a size 12 outfit for my daughter's wedding. I'd be looking for Omar the Tent catalogs evening wear editions. So you're doing well, all things considered.

I feel so sorry for your frustration. But you know? When you finally, finally get that new kidney, it will have all been so worth it.

I think you could use a teenie, tiny little prayer here. I think I'll pray that you keep up this positive attitude and find the strength to continue to do this until the wonderful day you get that #1 phone call. xoxoxo

4:20 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

It all sounds good Kelli - you're taking steps toward the goal. It isn't easy for any of us - this exercise thing - and it's even more difficult for you. I think you're doing great. In fact, you encourage me to get going with some strength training exercises.
I'm praying for you!!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

Girl, you put me to shame...I don't see how you have any energy to exercise at all! My kidneys are still working, they are merely damaged by the too-long-undiagnosed disease, and I can't seem to find the energy to do laundry much less run on a treadmill EVERY day! You handle everything so well, and with such humor. You really do inspire me every time I come for a visit. I think maybe I'll get up and take a walk around the block a little later...well, maybe!

Still praying for you in Texas!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well shoot, if I actually had paid someone, I might actually do the exercise! As it stands now, Scout is my running partner, and if I don't go, he can't tell on me. :-)

Good luck on the 8 pound "baby"--at least you don't have to raise it! ;)

(And to anybody whose comments follow, Kelli knows I'm just kidding and she doesn't mind. Really.) :-)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Seems like you've got a plan and someone to help you accomplish what you want to do.

My prayers are with you.........

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Just came across you blog and really like it! Hope things continue to go well for you and your trainer!!

Keeping positive is one of the most important things you can do, well done and God bless!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home